Thanks to the generosity of my mother-in-law, our freezer has been stocked full of cod and salmon in recent weeks. The only problem was that I was either too tired or in too much pain from the posterior pelvic pain to actually prepare a home-cooked meal. And so the fish stacked up higher and higher in the freezer.
Last week, I came across a ridiculously simple recipe for baked cod and decided to try it. Holy cow! It was GOOD and I ain’t blowing my own trumpet. I modified the recipe a little and made it three times (yes, we do have that many pieces of cod in the freezer). And it tasted pretty damn good every single time. Even the carnivore in my home approved.
For those of you who are looking for fuss-free dishes that can be cooked up on weekdays, look no further.
(It doesn’t look very pretty – OKAY it’s the PHOTOGRAPHER – but it tasted better than it looked.)
Baked Cod Fillet
What you’ll need:
- A cod steak or filet
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs or panko
- 1 tsp melted butter
- Dash of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkling of paprika
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 220 degree Celsius. Place cod in a lightly greased pan or plate
- Combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a bowl, and spread it over the cod
- Sprinkle paprika on top of the mixture
- Cover the surface with the breadcrumbs and then drizzle the melted butter over
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes
- THAT’S IT!